Sunday Bulletin September 15 2019
Sunday Bulletin September 8 2019
Sunday Bulletin September 1 2019
Sunday Bulletin August 25 2019
Questions for Hebrews 11:17-19
1. By faith, Abraham, when he was tested offered up Isaac. Who tested Abraham? Did he offer up or sacrifice Isaac? If not, why does the writer of Hebrews say he did?
2. In what sense was Isaac Abraham’s only begotten son for he had already begotten Ishmael? See Heb. 11:17; cp. Gen. 22:2, 12, 16.
3. In what sense is Jesus God’s only begotten Son?
4. God promised to make Abraham a great nation which of course required seed or descendants. With respect to the promise what does, “In Isaac your seed will be called” mean?
5. Abraham was going to offer up Isaac. What did he believe God would have done had he slain Isaac on the altar? Why?
6. What does it mean that Abraham received Isaac back from the dead in a figurative sense?
7. Read Genesis 22. Are there hints Abraham believed Isaac would be alive after they went up on the mountain to worship? What are they?
8. Is it possible that Jesus made reference to this episode when He spoke of Abraham in John 8:56? In what sense did Abraham see Christ’s day?
9. What about Paul’s words in Romans 8:32? Might he be alluding to Abraham who also spared not his son?
10. James writes about this episode (2:21-22). What did he mean that Abraham was justified by works? He seems to contradict what Paul wrote (Rom. 3:28, 4:5-6; Gal. 2:16; Eph. 2:8-9)?
Questions for Hebrews 11:8-16
1. How should we reconcile Hebrews 11:8 and Acts 7:5?
2. Will Abraham someday inherit the Promised Land? When?
3. What is the relationship between faith and obedience?
4. What was remarkable about Abraham’s faith? – People relocate all the time.
5. How did his faith illustrate the definition of faith stated in verse 1?
6. How was Abraham’s faith demonstrated by dwelling in the Promised Land (vs. 9)?
7. How was Sarah’s faith demonstrated?
8. What is the significance of the statement that Abraham waited for the city of God, not to inherit the land he was promised?
9. What is the city of God? Why is it described as “heavenly”?