Sunday Bulletin August 19 2018
Sunday Bulletin August 12 2018
Sunday Bulletin August 5 2018
Sunday Bulletin July 29 2018
Questions for Hebrews 5:9-14
1. Why does the author characterize the things he wants to communicate as “hard to explain”?
2. What does it mean to be dull of hearing?
3. Why does the author rebuke his readers in verse 12?
4. What are the oracles of God?
5. What is the “word of righteousness”?
6. What does it mean to be unskilled in the word of righteousness?
7. What is solid food? Why is it important?
8. What practices can we adopt to avoid the situation in which the Hebrews found themselves?
Questions for Hebrews 5:1-11
1. Since we know that high priests were men, why write of high priests “taken from among men”? What point(s) might the author be making?
2. Is there a distinction to be made between “gifts” and “sacrifices”? If so, what is it?
3. Why could the OT priests have compassion on those they served? Why could Christ sympathize with us as our High Priest? (5:2; 2:18; 4:15)
4. What is the clear contrast between Christ and the OT high priests in 5:3?
5. Why did the author make clear that Jesus was called by God to be a high priest as also Aaron was called?
6. Why could Jesus not serve as a priest in the Levitical priesthood?
7. What does the name “Melchizedek” mean? Why is it appropriate that Jesus was called according to the order of the Melchizedekian priesthood?
8. Why did Jesus have to learn obedience?
9. What does it mean that Jesus was perfected through sufferings?