Sunday Bulletin May 19 2019
Sunday Bulletin May 12 2019
Sunday Bulletin May 5 2019
Sunday Bulletin April 28 2019
1. Why was Hebrews written and how does this passage (10:1-10) fit the author’s purpose?
2. How can God say He did not desire the sacrifices and offerings that He Himself demanded?
3. What does it mean that the Old Testament sacrifices did not make those who offered them perfect?
4. Does Christ’s sacrifice on the cross make perfect those who receive Him? If so, perfect in what sense?
5. What are the contrasts the writer draws between the OT sacrifices and Christ’s sacrifice?
6. In what sense were the OT sacrifices shadows?
7. What does it mean that we have been sanctified by the offering of the body of Jesus Christ?
8. If the OT sacrifices did not take away sins, did all the people who offered them die in their sins, and therefore, perish? (consider 9:25 an compare Rom. 3:25)
9. Read Psalm 40:6-8 which is quoted in here in Hebrews 10. What is the relationship between “opening ears” (Psa. 40:6), and “preparing a body” (Heb. 10:5)? Why the emphasis on the “body” of Christ? (10:5, 10, cp.2:14&17)
1. What is the purpose of Hebrews 11 in the context of the epistle? Consider Heb. 6:11-12, 10:36, 12:1-2.
2. How do we reconcile what is said about Sarah’s faith in Hebrews 11 and her laughter in Genesis 18? Did Abraham laugh?
3. What were the two aspects of Sarah’s faith found in Hebrews 11:11?
4. We pray at times for things God has not promised to grant: healing of disease, the salvation of a loved one, good weather for an event, etc. So, when we pray for the things God has not promised, our faith is not that He will do them, but that He is able to do those things. How do these incidents of faith (Daniel 3:8-18; Luke 5:12-13; 2 Corinthians 12:7-10) illustrate this? Consider also 1 John 5:14-15.
5. What things has God promised you in Scriptures? These are the things you can be confident He will grant. Why should we pray to God to grant them?
6. How might Sarah’s inclusion in the “Hall of Fame of Faith” be an encouragement to us?